The last DA for the year. Today we had to discover a theme of 'notable 30-across numbers'. I don't know if 'protest' is really the case for a couple of them so much as 'socially aware' or 'political' but we get the drift. I didn't get 30-across straight away so it was Hurricane/Treaty that gave it up.
1) KHE SANH : -k he's an h- : One of the few songs I will change the radio station when I hear it. It's not the message or sentiment, it's the overblown aura that now surrounds it. It's not that good, IMO.
5,29) IF I HAD A HAMMER : (media,firm,ha-ha)* : I don't really know this song so will pass no judgement.
11) see 17dn
12) IGNORES : --ig--,hm(gnaws)
13) DAL : lad< : surface, what ?!
14) BEMOANS : be(mo)ans
15) IMAGINE : i(magi)n,e : Fabulous.
16) REGO : re,go
18) TAKING PART : ta,King part : nice enough clue.
21) REVOLUTION : lover<,--ution : after much thought, post-answer, I think roughly=circa=ca leaves care=caution. Laborious, no fun.
22,27dn) LENT AN EAR : Lent,a----,near
25) NEPALIS : (plane,is)*
26) TILLAGE : -till,-age : i.e. still sage
28) TRY : ddef
29) see 5ac
30) PROTEST : p(rot)est
31) KNEADS : k-n-e-,ads : nice surface.
32) LANYARD : l(any)ard
2) HO-HUM : -ho-,-h-,-um-
3,24,3) SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY : hm(sundae),bloody,hm(sundae) : Great song. Love it.
4) NEEDS : hm(kneads)
6) FANDANGO : fan,dang,o : amongst this puzzle, who thought Bohemian Rhapsody when you got that answer ?
7) HURRICANE : (raunchier)* : Another great song but apparently the authorities were right the first time.
8) DISSENT : --tness I d-- <
9) BARBER : one who barbs/baits : presumably . . .
10) FILIPINO : hm(fill a pinot)
17,11ac) GIVE PEACE A CHANCE : (g-ievance)*<>pe(ace)ach : not the best song but a very usable title.
19) ARTISTRY : art(--e/1st)ry
20) SLALOMED : some<>(all),d : slightly different but synonymous enough.
21) RANSACK : ran,sack
23) TREATY : (-attery)* : Great song.
24) see 3dn
26) TYPE-A : t----y,pea : bit overclued.
27) see 22ac
I always respect getting all the titles into a grid. It's not just an AutoFill job so kudos for that.
I liked the theme and there were no real problems, so 7.5/10.
For the popular DA blog. Start a new topic for each puzzle
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests