DA 27/04/18

For the popular DA blog. Start a new topic for each puzzle
zinzan

DA 27/04/18

Post by zinzan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:46 am

Clearly, rude words were the theme of the day. But how rude ? It seems that SHIT is the most explicit variant while the rest were quaint expressions or just synonyms. The clues were okay but some amount of reference was required . . .

ACROSS
1,22dn) BLANKETY BLANKS : ddef : . . . starting here. I used to watch the show but didn't know the title had an alternative meaning. Quick quiz. Complete the verse : "Blankety blanks. Such a good show. Must give (3,6,2,6,3,2)" as Graeme Kennedy would sing.
5) ADAPT : a,Dapt- : being the Dapto dogs. I nearly put 'curse' as the greyhounds is known as 'coursing', so 'course' minus 'o'. Whatever.
10) UNSEE : (-enues)* : that lack of grammar kills me. 'from rock venues' - ugh.
11) NAIL-BITER : nail,(tribe)* : nailed it.
12) HELL YEAH : Sp(yell Hair)
13) see 7dn
15) see 1dn
18) THE FOOL : thef-,loo<
20) PULL TAB : pull,TAB : not a bad clue.
23) ARTISAN : (Sinatra)*
25) ORION : crypdef : bit boring.
26) ALPHONSE : ALP,ho(u/n)se
29) NANTUCKET : crypdef : "There once was a man from Nantucket", runs the limerick. Not much clue but everyone knows it. Nantucket is near Cape Cod in Massachusetts.
30) PARKA : hm(Parker) : 'warmer' ? Really ? 'bird' with no capital ? For Charlie Parker (Bird), the saxophonist. Not a happy clue.
31) SHADY : ddef
32) TERRAPIN : terra(p-----)in

DOWN
1,21,15ac) BLUE-TONGUED LIZARDS : crypdef : sort of. Sort of blah.
2) AISLE : a,isle : key=island
3) KNEELER : k-n-e-,el-er : i.e. elder. The definition is the previous clue - 'a key part of cathedral'. I'm consulting my legal team as we speak.
4,28) TINKERS DAMN : crypdef : sort of. Next to worthless indeed. I'm getting weary.
6) DEBACLE (!): bed<,(lace)* : losing . . . the will . . .
7) PATERSONS CURSE : . . . to go on . . .
9) GRUELLING : g---,hm(ruling) : split homophone . . . .. . . . ..... . . . . . #%@*#
14) CLIP JOINT : ddef
16) ZILLIONTH : Z(ill)ion,---t,--------h. (Eight to go).
17) DNA : and<
19) HER : herring minus ring : (Six!)
21) see 1dn
22) see 1ac
23) AMPUTEE : work it out yourself . . .
24) TROOPER : . . .
27) SCRAP : . . .
28) se . . .

I had said the clues were okay but I reckon it's because I knew the answer without actually examining the clue's merits, or lack of.
1.5/10 - the most painful post ever.