The sparsity of clues in the Downs hinted it could be a tough day. It didn't turn out to be so bad. The real estate theme was easy enough though one had to trust the answers were 'common' enough to get.
4) LOB : -lob- : ie Globe
8) RESOURCE : -r-e- c-e- <> sour : not 'recourse' which made no sense for a while, understandably.
9) LIE LOW : lie,low : no trickery here, just synonyms.
10) TONGAN : tong,an : tong = a Chinese organisation abroad.
11) SEA SLUGS : hm(seize),lugs : interesting. If you break 'sea slugs' into 'seas' and 'lugs' then 'seas' has a 'z' sound whereas if you say it as part of 'sea slugs' it has a 's' sound. So the homonym of 'seize(catch)' is based on 'seas' as it looks after separation. Is that correct, do you think ? Or should the setter provide the homonym as it's sounded in the actual answer ?
12) PARTY PIES : par,typ(i)es
13) ASCOT : ---a---,Scot : bit mangled.
15) WOOFERS : ddef : ie subwoofers.
16) ROYALTY : ddef
18) ASSET : as,set : not an anagram of 'since'.
19) SLAG HEAPS : (gas,helps,a)*
21) CREATORS : c/rea_tors : C moves forward.
22) LUGOSI : (g-oulis-)* : a good idea.
23) CARESS : car--ess : ie careless
24) TITANIUM : tit,--anium : 'discredited' meaning remove 'cr'.
25) EGO : ---e,go : match=complement=go.
1) RENOVATORS DREAM : (random,rates,over)*
2) SOUGHT-AFTER AREA : hm(sort),aft,er(are)a : hmm, 'cherished'=embraced ? Not quite liking it.
3) see 17dn
4) LESSEES : ---les,sees : ie pimples.
5,20) BLEAK HOUSE : ddef : a Dickens novel.
6) REAL ESTATE AGENT : crypdef
7) TOO GOOD TO PASS UP : hm(two),go,(top,soda)*,sup
14) COAGULATE : (catalogue)* : a well-worn anagram.
17,3) CLOSE TO TRANSPORT : (sots,on,claret)*,port : not too bad.
20) see 5dn
Firstly you always have to congratulate any setter who gets a fairly dense theme without obscure crossing words.
There weren't any big issues and the long answers weren't just anagrams, so I think this was a decent puzzle.
For the popular DA blog. Start a new topic for each puzzle
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests